Upper Peninsula Animal Welfare Shelter

Great Friends Found Here. Visit UPAWS

Wild Life Information

Wildlife Information

Wildlife should only be cared for by those with authorized wildlife rehabilitation permits from the Department of Natural Resources in Michigan. For wildlife questions, please call DNR phone #906-228-6561

If you are sure a wild animal is orphaned or injured, call the following Wildlife Rehabbers:

Marquette County:

Gloria Urban 906-361-3140

Kyann Clarke –  Wilson Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation
906 345 9554 Home
406 552 5680 Cell

Gwinn-Sawyer Veterinary Clinic (injured wildlife only) 906-346-3528

For a complete list of Michigan Licensed Wildlife Rehabbers, contact: www.Michigan.gov/wildlifepermits

In most cases, wild animal babies should be left alone. Young wild animals are not like human babies. They are not constantly watched by their parents, and they spend large amounts of time alone or with their brothers and sisters.

I found a Baby Mammal

I found a Baby Bird

If you find a baby duck, goose, quail, or killdeer:

  • If you know the mother is dead, or if baby is injured, call a wildlife rehabilitator right away.
  • If baby is separated from the mother and you know where she is, place baby close by so she can hear it. Watch from a distance.
  • If the mother is not found or does not claim the baby within an hour, call a wildlife rehabilitator. If you cannot reach one, rescue the baby.

If you find baby bunnies:

  • If their nest has been damaged, it can be repaired. Look for a shallow depression lined with grass/fur. Place babies in nest with light layers of grass to hide them. Leave the area, or the mother won’t return. (Mothers return only at dawn & dusk.)
  • If you find healthy bunnies that are 4-5 inches long, able to hop, with eyes open and ears up, they do not need help. They are able to survive on their own. Leave Them Alone. Questions? Call a wildlife rehabilitator.

 If you find a fawn:

  • Mothers normally leave their babies to feed.
  • If baby looks cold, hungry, diseased, or confused, or if dogs, other animals, or people threaten its safety, call a wildlife rehabilitator or park ranger.
  • If the baby is near a road or other dangerous area, carefully pick the baby up and move it 100 feet to safety and leave the area. The mother will find it as long as you do not remain in the area.
  • Otherwise, leave the baby alone and leave the area. The mother will not return if people or pets are present.

Only adults should rescue baby animals. Before rescuing adult animals, seek guidance from a wildlife rehabilitator.

It’s against the law in most states to keep wild animals if you don’t have permits, even if you plan to release them.

Contact Us

Phone: (906) 475-6661
Fax: (906) 475-6669
Email: info@upaws.org

Shelter Hours

Monday: Closed
Tuesday: 12pm to 4pm
Wednesday: 12pm to 4pm
Thursday: 12pm to 4pm
Friday: 11am to 4pm
Saturday: 11am to 4pm
Sunday: 11am to 4pm


815 South State Highway M553
Gwinn, MI 49841
View Map

Subscribe to our