Please contact UPAWS directly by phone (906-475-6661) to discuss your need to surrender your pet. Our staff will have a variety of questions to ask to see if we can help you keep your pet or if there may be an alternative to your pet coming to UPAWS. Shelters are often stressful for an animal, so if an alternative can be reached it is a win-win!
Below are links to alternatives and solutions to surrender (click links to learn more):
Are you surrendering your pet because you are moving? Check out our Pet Friendly Housing resource page!
Are you surrendering your pet because you cannot afford the care? Please connect with UPAWS staff about our Food Pantry program, Community Spay and Neuter program and other resources.
The UPAWS Staff and Volunteers are here to help. We would love to assist you in finding a solution to either keep your beloved pet or avoid surrendering your pet to UPAWS. Please call anytime.
Please Note: If a decision is reached to surrender your pet, we recommend that you phone UPAWS and an appointment please be scheduled. We accept pets from Marquette County, but do appointments help us to ensure that we have kennel space available for new admissions. As well as properly have time to learn about your pet. It is our busy season, so calling a few days ahead of time to schedule an appointment is recommended. You can call us at 906-475-6661.
How to Surrender Your Pet to UPAWS
1. Call (906) 475-6661. Speak to a staff member and please schedule an appointment.
2. Download, print and fill out the appropriate profile form (below links) to help us learn about your pet so we can place he/she in a appropriate new home. This is helpful if you can do this before hand, you can take your time filling the profile at home and save time at UPAWS.
3. Bring your pet and any veterinary records for the pet to your scheduled appointment.
A monetary donation is not required however is greatly appreciated to help ensure a safe, humane haven for animals that have no other place to go. Your donation will help with the care of your pet.
- UPAWS relies on donations and fees to care for approximately 1,400 animals each year. We do not receive any national or local government funding.
- We place no time limit on any animal’s length of stay in the shelter, and your donation will help with the care of your animal.
Questions, comments or concerns: please contact us at (906) 475-6661