Job Position Opening
1) Certified, or 2 years experience as a veterinary technician, or assistant, or other relevant experience.
2) Strong computer literacy skills
3) Excellent verbal communication
4) Must work with diverse groups of people
5) Must be energetic
6) Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends
7) Must be self-directed and independent
8) Must be willing to learn and promote the UPAWS mission
9) Possess a valid Michigan Driver’s License and deemed an acceptable risk by our insurance carrier
10) Must have reliable transportation
11) Must have animal handling skills
12) Be able to handle multiple unrelated tasks simultaneously
13) Use standard medical equipment, such as microscopes, snap tests, etc.
14) Ability to perform basic lab tests such as fecal exams, urinalyses, and ear cytology screens. Or the ability to learn these soon after hire.
- Oversee and coordinate veterinary care for the animals at UPAWS
- Perform health exams which may include administering injections, performing venipuncture, taking vital signs of an animal, properly restraining animals (including fractious, nervous and overwhelmed animals)
- Be responsible for the care and treatment of animals at UPAWS including administer medication, setting up veterinary exams, bringing animals to their vet appointments, monitoring their health daily and working one-on-one with the vets to develop a health plan for individual animals.
- Work with and coordinate the Volunteer Vet Program
- Prepare and maintain records for all animals on site
- Perform laboratory procedures such as urinalysis and fecal exams
- Perform routine procedures such as nail trims, microchip injections, anal gland expression, remove sutures and ear cleanings
- Provide basic education to adopters on animal care, nutrition and medical conditions
- Recommend products for optimal wellness, such as vitamins and supplements, dental needs, flea control, etc.
- Maintain the exam room and its contents (Order, organize and restock medications)
- Feed, walk, and bath animals when needed
- Other duties as needed
Responsible to: Shelter Manager
Working Conditions: Subject to hazards that can be caused by working with animals. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds. May need to lift and handle animals. Work indoors and outdoors. Some weekend and evening work necessary. Some travel within Marquette County.
Schedule include may weekday and weekend shifts.
***Closing date for submissions is Thursday, February 28. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.*** NOTE- FACEBOOK applications will not be accepted.
Job Type: Full-time