Thank you for your interest in becoming a UPAWS foster parent volunteer! Volunteers like you provide short-term in-home care for dogs, cats, rabbits, horses, and other animals in need until they can go home. By becoming a volunteer foster caregiver to UPAWS animals, you’ll get the chance to spend quality time with some tiny kittens, teach a dog how to love and be loved, or watch an injured kitty get back on her feet thanks to your care and attention. It’s an immensely rewarding experience you’ll never forget, and it changes animals’ lives in a very direct way.
Why become a foster parent?
- Reduces the amount of time an animal spends at UPAWS.
- Allows UPAWS to have open kennels for other animals in need.
- You’ll help UPAWS get a better understanding of the animal and his needs.
- Helps a pet become more adoptable and increases the chance of a successful adoption .
- Makes a big difference for one animal in need.
- It’s fun and rewarding!
Which animals need fostering?
- Kittens and puppies who are too young to be spayed or neutered and adopted out into permanent homes. When the animals are eight weeks old and weigh at least two pounds, they can be spayed or neutered and made available for adoption.
- Cats or dogs who are nursing a litter of kittens or puppies.
- Cats or dogs who are being treated for injuries or illnesses.
- Cats, dogs and small critters that need a break from the shelter environment.
- Dogs that will be more adoptable with increased one-on-one attention and exercise.
- Cats that are nervous at the shelter, but blossom in a home environment.
- Horses and other large animals.
This is just an example of why most of our animals are placed in foster care. But UPAWS will consider placing any animal in a foster home! We love foster homes and enjoy watching our homeless furry friends relax in a loving foster home until they find the forever one.
How foster care works and how to become involved:
It’s easy! Just send us an email or give us a call if you are interested in becoming a foster home. We have a short questionnaire for you to fill out. We will find out what type of home you have to offer, your past experience, which pets you most want to help and when you’d like to start. If you are ready to start right away, we can match you with an animal in need. If you have a specific type of animal in mind to foster, we will keep your information on file and stay in contact with you. Also, feel free to also stay in contact with us. Watch our website and Facebook page for anyone you’d be interested in helping. UPAWS will provide for all the medical care and supplies needed.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 906-475-6661 for more information.